Amazon Banner

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Back to Creative Writing School by Bridget Whelan

Genre: Writing Instruction

First Sentence:  This book is about writing.

For me the hardest part of writing is beginning.  The ideas seem to flow freely in my mind, yet it is often difficult to get them down on paper.  That's the goal of Bridget Whelan's  book - to help writers "defeat the blank page."

Her book consists of thirty exercises organized as lessons in a class on creative writing.  In each lesson, Whelan has included an essay which describes a writing skill, and gives examples of its use.  The exercises themselves are challenges which encourage creative thinking.  I tried several of the exercises.  In each exercise, I found that I could create a unique piece of creative writing.

I think that this book would be helpful for beginning writers as well as experienced writers.  Beginners will find new ways to get their ideas down on paper.  And experienced writers may find different ways to express their thoughts.

I recommend this book to all writers who wish to improve their skills.


              

No comments:

Post a Comment