Amazon Banner

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Dinosaur Wars: Earthfall by Thomas P. Hopp

Genre: Science Fiction

Setting: Western US in the Present day

This is the first novel in Hopp's Dinosaur Wars series.

It is generally accepted that 65 million years ago an asteroid impact ended the age of dinosaurs on Earth.  Civilized humans have only existed for a  few thousand years.  What if an asteroid impacted Earth today?  The resulting explosion might obliterate the last few million years of the fossil record.  If so, sentient species of the future would never know of our existence.

This is the premise of Thomas Hopp's novel.  65 million years ago dinosaurs had evolved into a sentient species.  In fact they were more advanced than we are today.  They had a moon base and they had advanced physics technology.  When they discovered that they were doomed by the oncoming asteroid, they created a genetic "Noah's ark" on the moon.  Unfortunately, their ark was damaged and remained dormant until humans discovered it.  While investigating the dinosaurs' facility, human explorers restored power to it.  What happens then is the plot of Hopp's novel.

I really enjoyed this novel.  I liked Hopp's writing style.  The plot moves along and there is plenty of action.  While I felt some of the plot elements were a little cliche, I just suspended disbelief and enjoyed the ride.

There was one part of the novel I did not like.  Hopp has one of his characters explain how the dinosaurs had found a way to convert light into an inert powder.  I felt this description was not necessary.  Many SciFi novels describe aliens who have advanced technologies which we don't understand.  I get it.  No need for physics class.

Over all, I really liked this book.  I would definitely read the next book in the series.  As I am writing this review, Dinosaur Wars: Earthfall is available free on Kindle.  Check it out!

Dinosaur Wars: Earthfall




Dinosaur Wars: Counterattack



Check out my eBook!

No comments:

Post a Comment